- Moving forward at cruising speed
- Want to stay on the market with your biocidal product after 1 September 2015?
- Implementing biocides in a Member State - a Dutch perspective
- An industry perspective: Challenges for generating safe use information for mixtures
- What happens after a decision has been made on a dossier?
- Helping SMEs
- Improving quality of nanomaterial registrations
- Checking compliance - lessons learnt and recommendations
- Working for scientifically sound opinions
- New Head of Unit for ICT Infrastructure and IT Security
- A shock that led to a documentary: "Products on the shelves are not tested for safety"
- Guest column: Nanotechnology Industries Association's view on nanomaterials under REACH
- "Protecting health and the environment is a global goal"
- Advocating for transparency of chemical data
Send your feedback to:echanewsletter (at) echa.europa.eu
Article related to: People and perspectives
A shock that led to a documentary: "Products on the shelves are not tested for safety"
The Human Experiment is a new American documentary focusing on chemicals in everyday household products and their potential effect on humans. The film includes interviews with ECHA's Executive Director Geert Dancet and Director Jack de Bruijn, which showcase the advances in chemicals legislation in Europe. It will premiere at the International Documentary Film Festival in Amsterdam in November. ECHA Newsletter spoke with Dana Nachman, one of the directors, to find out what inspired the film and what she hopes people will get out of it.
Can you tell me a little about the film? What is it about?
The documentary is about the thousands of chemicals we all use in our everyday products, some of which are in our furniture, our make-up and other cosmetics, and how in America, the majority of these chemicals have never been tested for safety. Meanwhile, there are many diseases and health conditions that are on the rise.
| Dana Nachman. |
Image: Dana Nachman.
What are the ‘take home' messages that you wish to convey through the film?
The Human Experiment
Interview by Hanna-Kaisa Torkkeli
Top image: Screen shot from the trailer of 'The Human Experiment'
Background: Reform of the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)
Sign in to comment and/or rate this article.
Committee for Risk Assessment:
4-7 and 12-13 June
9-13 and 16-20 September (tentative)
Committee for Socio-Economic
9-13 and 16-20 September
Management Board meeting:
Member State Committee:
24-28 June (tentative)
Biocidal Products Committee: